JOB OPENING: DIRECTOR OF MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
Merrimack Repertory Theatre (MRT), a highly-regarded LORT D theatre located in Lowell, MA, is seeking a Director of Marketing to oversee all marketing and communications messaging for the organization and to enhance the local, regional, and national profile of MRT.
ABOUT MERRIMACK REPERTORY THEATRE
Now in its 38th season, MRT is the only non-profit professional theatre serving Greater Lowell and its surrounding region. It is one of just three LORT theatres in Massachusetts and eight in New England. MRT’s performance facility is the 279-seat Nancy L. Donahue Theatre, located in the Liberty Hall wing of Lowell Memorial Auditorium, a city-owned venue constructed in 1922 and located in downtown Lowell. MRT’s seven-play season is produced and presented from September through May, serving an audience of 40,000 including a stable base of nearly 4,000 subscribers.
The Director of Marketing will report to the Executive Director and work closely with other Senior Staff (Director of Development, Director of Finance, Director of Company Management/Producer, Artistic Producer, and Artistic Director). Staff reporting to Director of Marketing and Public Relations includes: Marketing Associate, Audience Development Associate, Graphic Designer, Box Office Manager and staff, as well as interns and volunteers.
MRT seeks a driven, collaborative, and innovative individual to serve as Director of Marketing. This position is responsible for creating, implementing, and measuring a successful and comprehensive marketing, communications, and public relations strategy to promote MRT locally and nationally. This includes addressing both subscription and single ticket sales; coordinating media placement; serving as a daily contact for marketing partners and vendors; effecting outreach and audience engagement efforts; and forging strong relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets. In coordination with the rest of the department, the Director of Marketing directs, designs, and distributes all collateral and promotional materials.
- Create and implement strategies to reach goals for ticket sales (including subscription series, single, group, and student tickets); building brand awareness; strengthening community relationships
- Oversee box office to ensure overall smooth operation, consistent implementation of policies, and high levels of customer service
- Measure progress toward goals and use data analysis to present meaningful reports and recommendations to executive director, senior staff, and the Board of Trustees
- Develop a communications and advertising strategy that includes direct mail, email, print, radio, and digital, including social
- Build a communications calendar with input from the Director of Development for all marketing and development patron communication
- Create and manage departmental budget and oversee departmental spending in coordination with Director of Finance and Executive Director
- Fostering relationships with members of the press, including increasing the number of feature stories placed and reviewers covering productions
- Manage production and distribution of quality collateral materials to support marketing and development goals
- Oversee Box Office operations, including: subscription sales, single ticket sales, and work with Audience Development Associate on group, school, and special ticketing sales as well as an annual telemarketing campaign
- Develop a strategy for playbill ad sales, and playbill preparation for each production
- As needed, recruit, train, oversee, and develop qualified personnel, making sure all staff is aware of current goals and programs
- Conduct market research and present findings
- Collaborate with Senior Staff, Executive Director and Artistic Director on short- and long-range strategic institutional planning
- Represent MRT at committees and events relating to communications
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director
Salary is commensurate with experience. The range of benefits includes medical and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, life insurance, and optional participation in the company’s 403(b) and flexible spending account plans.
- B.A. in marketing, communications, public relations preferred; graduate work or equivalent experience desired.
- 3+ years marketing experience and familiarity with performing arts industry; theater experience desired
- Demonstrated skills and experience in planning and execution of marketing and communications strategies
- Experience developing and managing budgets, hiring and supervising employees
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, Constant Contact, SurveyMonkey, and patron databases (AudienceView is ideal)
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours
Merrimack Repertory Theatre provides a competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates are invited to send a cover letter, resume, references, and a writing sample such as a press release or marketing collateral piece (no phone calls, please) to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please use the subject: DIRECTOR OF MARKETING. MRT is an equal opportunity employer.