MRT's Young Company is a professional theatre training program for high school students interested in all aspects of performing arts and new play development as a career. Nationally recognized playwrights, actors, and directors will work closely with students to develop their own voice in their scripts and learn about performing improv, musical theatre, and modern approaches to acting and auditioning. The final presentation from our summer program will showcase material created by the members of our Young Company with scenes from the works of today’s leading playwrights on the MRT stage. Young Company is designed to prepare students for college theatre programs and careers in the field.
MRT’s Young Company:
- Gives young people the opportunity to express their ideas, define their unique voice, and build community through theatre creation.
- Offers fun, fully-immersive opportunities for students to better understand the inner workings of a professional theatre.
- Builds strong connections between youth and leaders in the American theatre.
- Brings together a broad range of students with a variety of interests and theatrical experience.
2018 SUMMER PROGRAM DATES
July 16 - August 3, 2018
Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
For students entering grades 9-12
Our three-week summer session engages students in theatre-making from many angles: acting, creative writing, improvisation, movement, and more. Students work with professional theatre artists and create an original presentation, based on their own stories. The summer session concludes with a performance of students’ work on the MRT stage.
Young Company continues to meet during the MRT season, offering a window into the fascinating work of professional theatre artists. Opportunities include:
Rehearsal and Tech Observation: Students watch acting and technical rehearsals of select MRT productions, seeing them unfold all the way to opening night.
Workshop Attendance: Students can sit in on workshops of the brand new plays MRT is developing with nationally-renowned playwrights.
Master Classes and Artist Talks: MRT staff and artists offer classes and discussions, sharing their own expertise and experience.
Includes participation in summer and year-round programs
BEFORE MAY 1: $425 per student
AFTER MAY 1: $450 per student
REGISTRATION ENDS JUNE 30, 2018
There are three ways to register:
- ONLINE through our website.
- BY PHONE by calling 978-654-4678 during Box Office hours.
- IN PERSON at the theatre during Box Office hours.
- BY MAIL with a printed registration form.
A non-refundable $100 registration deposit is due at time of registration and full tuition is due by June 30. For questions, please call or email Will Rogers.
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES & PAYMENT PLANS
Need-based scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Payment plans are also available. To apply, call or email Will Rogers.
Will Rogers, Young Company Director
Read musings from last year's Young Company here.