Lighting and Sound Assistant
Merrimack Repertory Theatre, a LORT D regional theatre located in Lowell, MA, is seeking a Lighting and Sound Assistant for the 2022-23 season. The Lighting and Sound Assistant is responsible for assisting the Lighting and Sound Supervisor in the execution of all their duties as assigned. The position’s primary role will be to serve as the board operator for both Lights and Sound for Merrimack Repertory Theatre’s (MRT) season. All MRT Employees must be fully vaccinated and boostered.
All MRT employees are expected to embrace our mission statement and current strategic plan tenet of modeling Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at our core. MRT staff works in a manner consistent with these values by providing ongoing training, education, and action toward becoming an anti-racist and equitable institution across all races, ethnicities, abilities, sexual and gender expressions.
Position: Lighting and Sound Assistant
Employment dates: Immediate Hire – February 15, 2023, with possible extension March 20, 2023 – May 20, 2023
• Assist the Lighting and Sound Supervisor in all aspects of show preparation and load-in as assigned.
• Assist in delegation of tasks to an assigned crew of over-hire under the supervision of the Lighting and Sound Supervisor.
• Function as both Light and Sound Board Operator for the run of all seven shows.
• Be present at all technical rehearsals and technical rehearsal production meetings.
• Be prepared to handle basic show maintenance and operation.
Management of Equipment and Spaces:
• Assist with the upkeep of all MRT’s inventory of sound and lighting equipment, as directed by supervisor, including organizing the space, and replacement or disposal of items as needed.
• Help keep in working order MRT’s hearing impaired assisted listening equipment and Clear-com communication system, reporting to supervisor, production Manager or Senior Staff representative when replacement might be required.
• Assist with the maintenance of all MRT house, exterior and emergency lighting, reporting to supervisor, Production Manager or Senior Staff representative larger facility issues. Assist other production staff with general office lighting.
Community and Interdepartmental:
• Work with leadership to create and sustain a thriving organizational and workplace culture, ensuring transparency on culture-related expectations.
• Commit to fostering a workplace culture that infuses practices of anti-racism and equity into its everyday practices as well as its core principles.
• Be a role model for the organization in incorporating equity into all interactions with guest artists and community partners, centering their voices and acknowledging the different aspects of their cultural needs that may differ from established practice.
• Serve as needed and appropriate as a key holder/ staff representative for unexpected needs or emergencies. Provide assistance as needed to LMA staff or artists, vendors, emergency services, or MRT patrons. Report unusual events, or uncooperative individuals to Production Manager or Senior Staff representative.
• Provide support to Education, Special Events, Company Management and any other departments’ projects as needed.
• Maintain and help to enforce MRT best practices regarding safety, cleanliness, and professionalism.
Above all else, MRT is seeking an individual who is willing to embrace Merrimack Repertory Theatre’s expectation of being a valuable team player, as well as those who are willing to help achieve and maintain artistic expectations. MRT strives toward becoming an Anti-Racist organization. We value an inclusive culture. We strongly encourage applicants from historically underrepresented groups.
Job Requirements: Ability to lift 50 lbs, stand for 2 hours, work at heights of 50 ft. and operate various powered and non-powered tools.
Lighting and Sound Assistant reports to MRT’s Lighting and Sound Supervisor under the Production Manager who oversees the production department.
Pay rate: $16 per hour. Guarantee of 30 hours per week. $21 per hour overtime rate after 40 hours.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with ATTN: PRODUCTION MANAGER in the subject line. No phone calls please.